PROSTATE CANCER (LG-PC)
Small walnut-shaped gland in men
WHAT IS PROSTATE CANCER (LG-PC) SEQUENCING?
Prostate cancer is the type of cancer that is caused by the prostate. A small walnut-shaped gland in males that produces the seminal fluid that nourishes and transports sperm.
It’s probably the most common types of cancer in males. Usually, It is growing slowly and is initially confined to the prostate gland, where it may not cause serious harm. However, while different kinds of prostate cancer grow slowly and may need minimal or even no treatment, other types are aggressive and can spread very fast.
Prostate cancer that’s detected early when it is still confined to the prostate gland has a better chance of successful treatment.
WHO SHOULD NEED PROSTATE CANCER SEQUENCING?
It may cause no signs or symptoms in its early stages but that’s more advanced may cause signs and symptoms such as:
- Trouble urinating
- Decreased force in the stream of urine
- Blood in semen
- Discomfort in the pelvic area
- Bone pain
- Erectile dysfunction
- Age: Your risk of prostate cancer raises as you age.
- Race: For reasons not yet determined, black men carry a high chance of prostate cancer than do men of other races. In black men, this cancer is also more likely to be aggressive or advanced.
- Family history: If any male in your family has had prostate cancer, your risk may be raised. Also, if you have a family history of genes that raise the risk of breast cancer (BRCA1 or BRCA2) or a very strong family history of breast cancer, your risk of prostate cancer may be greater.
- Obesity: Obese males diagnosed with prostate cancer may be more likely to have advanced disease that is more difficult to treat.